Document management systems can range from small to enterprise content management systems. There are a number of common issues that are involved in managing documents, whether the system is an ad-hoc, paper-based method for one person or a formal, structured, computer enhanced system for thousands of people across multiple offices and countries.
Document Management Consultants provide a range of document and information management solutions and services that help companies to more efficiently manage their company documentation and business data.
A document management system (DMS) is a system used to track and store electronic documents and images of paper documents. Document management consulting will advise on systems which can provide capabilities such as; Metadata, Integration, Capture, Indexing, Storage, Retrieval, Distribution, Security, Workflow and Collaboration.
A document management consultant will typically address the following areas asking these types of questions:
1) Where will we keep our documents?
2) How much can we spend to store them?
1) How can people find needed documents?
2) How much time can be spent looking for them?
1) How do we organise our documents?
2) How do we ensure documents are filed appropriately?
1) How do we protect against the loss, tampering or destruction of documents?
2) How do we keep sensitive information hidden?
1) How do we ensure the readability of documents in the future?
2) How can we protect our documents against fires, floods or natural disasters?
1) How do we decide what documents to retain?
2) How long should they be kept? How do we remove them afterwards?
1) How do we get documents into the hands of people who need them?
2) How much can we spend to distribute the documents?
If documents need to pass from one person to another, what are the workflow rules?
If more than one person is involved in creating a document, how will the people collaborate?
Document management solutions are becoming more common place and this provides a superb niche for anyone with the knowledge and desire to become an independent document management consultant.
You can learn how to become a successful consultant from an expert who has been running his own successful consulting business for many years at http://www.successful-consultants.com